Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

E-Pub, Self-Pub or Agent? How To Choose?


Most writers have a goal. Many writers have plans to achieve that goal. Few writers actually make the goal.

So what happens if you are one of those writers who not only have a goal in mind but find yourself passing the goal before you have the time to hit the breaks?

I'd like to think we (writers) all have the same want/need. Publication. How we reach it is another matter. Do you spend years throwing your novel out there to agents and wait for one to see the passion? Do you decide to do it yourself and self-pub? Or do you decide to forgo the agent and send to the publisher directly? Either of these ways will work. Which one you choose is up to you.

For me, I decided to bypass the agent (with this story) and sent it directly to an e-publisher. Why not? With our market today in romance, the ereaders are expanding faster than anyone thought to project. To be honest though, it was a crapshoot for me. I wrote a story in a weekend and spent a month editing it. Then decided to just 'do it' - I hit send.

Can you imagine my surprise when Liquid Silver Books wrote me back saying they wanted it? Anya is my pen name - with my 'real' name, I've been trying for over a year to grab an agent's attention for a women's fiction I wrote. Go figure - I can write steamy romance - something I decide to try as a 'distraction' ;)

There are many ways to reach our goal, but I think as writers we need to be a 'tad bit' pliable when choosing the path to take. What works for one (hello ... Amanda Hawking) may not work for another.

Although, on that note ... have you noticed that some agencies are now bringing on agents who only deal with ebooks? Hmmm .... another venue to pursue perhaps?

What about you? Have you thought of a plan to reach your goal? Are you open to other means or are you stuck on the one path?

(thoughts on my contract and ... OMG ... my books is getting published ... later)

2 comments:

Linda Kage said...

YAY, congrats on the contract. Liquid Silver seems like a good, reputable place.

Anya S. Winter said...

Thanks Linda. I've only heard good things about LSB so I'm excited to work with them!

Post a Comment