Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Forever = Sexy

In honor of St. Patty's Day, I was planning to post pictures of hot male leprechauns.  Unfortunately, after an extensive Google search, I've learned there really aren't any.

So instead, I decided to take a quick gander as to WHY the paranormal market is so booming. From young adult to adult. Dystopian to romance. Paranormal characters are taking the literary world by storm and have been for quite a while.  

But why?

I think the answer is pretty simple. Because the larger majority of readers are female. And though we all have different tastes there are some common themes most of us have a hard time denying.

1) We're greedy with the idea of romance. We want to be loved like we're the most important thing in his world. To win a man's heart & devotion for one lifetime is a wonderful thing, but to win it for eternity . . . VICTORY!
Legolas - Lord of the Rings


2)  We love men with depth! The more delicious layers we can peel from a man to get to the center of who he truly is, the more we fall in love with him along the way. We melt over the notion of all the late night, post-coital, secret-sharing talks it'll take to begin skimming the surface of the man who's been through so much. 

Louis - Interview with the Vampire

3)  We're more superficial than we'd like to admit. Yes, we want a man who stirs our heart first and foremost, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't also appreciate it if he had a face & body we could stare at for hours! Immortal men provide the best of both worlds: They possess the wisdom of age & the beauty of youth.

Damon Salvatore - The Vampire Diaries

I think this is just the very tip of the iceberg when it comes to tapping into why, as a reading community, we just can't seem to get enough of the sexy creatures of the paranormal variety.

Any personal faves?

8 comments:

N. R. Williams said...

Legolas is mighty hot even when transformed into a pirate. Nice to meet you.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium, Special .99 through April 30

Stina said...

ROFL. No sexy leprechauns, huh? At least the elves are yummy to look at.

You have definitely proved in my mind, Tracy, that paranormal guys are the way to go. Just don't tell my husband that. :D

Margo Berendsen said...

Oh, I'd forgotten about Louis! Great picture! The point is a given, but the second - really good point that we like to peel back layers on complex men. That got me thinking!

And by the way, I did the same search for sexy leprechauns and I had just about given up, but I DID FIND ONE!!!! He's on my blog today :)

Tracy said...

NR - Elf pirate hybrids are the way to go!!

Stina - It's not your hubby's fault he isn't paranormal. They can't all be perfect.

Margo - I am on my way over right now!

Anya S. Winter said...

We are greedy as romance readers aren't we? Give me more. Make it steamier. Sexier. Give me a real man who meets all my needs.
Lol -we don't ask for much, do we ;)

Linda Kage said...

I think I'm going to have to take up reading and watching The Vampire Diaries. Hello, Damon. Why have I not met you yet?? Loved the other two too, but I've definitely met both already! ;-)

Laura said...

Did any of you catch Gormenghast with Jonathan Reese Mayers... now there was a coocoo character to fall for! (So glas I found this blog!)
Lx

Kari Marie said...

Is there anything sexy about a short husky man wearing green? I suppose there could be. All of the men pictured here are top notch though and well worth the price of admission to any film!

I heard a talk radio guy pontificate on the paranormal boom as well, although he blamed it on the bad economy. I like your reasons better (note comment about pictures earlier).

Post a Comment